Be Ready BEFORE the Storm
It’s just a given that storms are inevitable. Your friends at SERVPRO of Jefferson City would like to provide you some tips for safety before the storm even starts.
- Build an emergency supply kit and make a family communication plan.
- Remove dead or rotting trees and branches that could fall and cause injury or damage during a severe thunderstorm.
- Postpone outdoor activities.
- Remember the 30/3 Lightning Safety Rule: Go indoors if, after seeing lightning, you cannot count to 30 before hearing thunder. Stay indoors for 30 minutes after hearing the last clap of thunder.
- Secure outdoor objects that could blow away or cause damage.
- Get inside a home, building, or hard top automobile (not a convertible). Although you may be injured if lightning strikes your car, you are much safer inside a vehicle than outside.
- Remember, rubber-soled shoes and rubber tires provide NO protection from lightning. However, the steel frame of a hard-topped vehicle provides increased protection if you are not touching metal.
- Shutter windows and secure outside doors. If shutters are not available, close window blinds, shades, or curtains.
- Unplug any electronic equipment well before the storm arrives.
These are tips provided by FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency). SERVPRO of Jefferson City is just a phone call away if you encounter a disaster after a storm. 573-635-5883.