If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (573) 635-5883

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Fire-Free Fall

10/4/2017 (Permalink)

Prevention is key, and it starts with you! Preventing fire damage to your home or business is more than just keeping a fire extinguisher handy. There are many things you can do to help keep your home, and family safe. Having your heating system serviced regularly by a professional is a good way to ensure everything is working as it should. Cleaning around these areas is very important; make sure no dust or flammable items are near the ignition sources. This also applies to your dryers lint trap, it is important to remove the lint after EVERY use. A clogged lint trap is not only a fire risk, but it also reduces the efficiency of your dryer. In addition to keeping vents clean and free, remember to replace old, damaged or frayed appliance cords, and never force a three-pronged plug into a two-slot outlet or extension cord. When possible, it is best to avoid using outlet extenders or Plug-in bars, as they can quickly overload an electrical circuit. Candles, they may smell nice but they are a major fire hazard as well. There are many alternatives available instead of open flame candles. We also advise that you avoid smoking indoors; cigarettes are a known cause of house fires. Cigarettes should be disposed outside in a bucket of sand, or soaked in water prior to throwing them in the trash. Now, on to kitchen! Did you know FORTY ONE percent of home fires start in the kitchen? The number one prevention tip for the kitchen, NEVER leave cooking food unattended. Stay in the kitchen when frying, grilling, or broiling food. If you leave the room turn off the oven. All it takes is a second for a fire to ignite. When using your oven, use a timer so you’ll remember that the oven is on. Do not cook when you are sleepy, have been drinking alcohol, or have taken medicine that makes you drowsy. It is also very important that your cooking area is clean from any grease build up, and making sure there aren’t any flammable items near your stove or oven(Pot holders, Oven mitts, Wooden utensils, paper or plastic items, etc.). It is extremely crucial that you never use your oven to heat your home. A big step in prevention is installing smoke alarms near your kitchen, on each level of your home, near sleeping areas, and inside and outside of bedrooms. Use the test button to check your alarms twice each month, and the U.S. Fire Administration (USFA) recommends replacing the batteries twice a year. You can help to prevent fires in your home. In an event where fire damage does occur in your home, don’t hesitate, give us a call. Our team of professionals here at SERVPRO of Jefferson City will help restore your home, “Like it never even happened.”

Other News

View Recent Posts